A Gateway Success: Helping Superman Fly
Meet Chris. This happy, healthy baby began to change at 14 months of age. According to his mom, it was “as if someone hit the dimmer switch.” After being diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, Chris began the long process of evaluations and interventions from specialists in both Maryland and North Carolina. Chris attended five different schools in just six years; none of them met his needs or addressed his family’s long-term concerns about his progress. Chris was getting by in public school, but he wasn’t equipped with the tools that he needed to thrive, develop, and grow.
Everything changed in 2013 when Chris began attending Gateway School. A switch flipped and his communication skills began to improve and he began to make new friends. Through Gateway School, Chris is making incredible progress with a team giving him individualized attention and working on his level. And thanks to our donors, this superhero is getting his happy ending!
Gifts to The Hearing and Speech Agency ensure that we never have to turn anyone away who needs our services. For every dollar you give, 88 cents goes directly to programs and services to support the 4,000 children and adults with communication challenges—just like Christopher.
- HASA offers affordable treatment options for those who need audiology, speech-language, or occupational therapy services. HASA’s sliding scale assures that no one goes without diagnosis and treatment when it’s needed.
- HASA delivers access to clear, accurate communication whenever and wherever it is needed in the Deaf community.
- HASA provides students with communication challenges like Christopher an unmatched education from an interdisciplinary team of professionals that build a foundation for lifelong learning.
The Hearing and Speech Agency is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization; therefore, your gift is tax deductible to the fullest extent of the law. Documents and information submitted to the State of Maryland under the Maryland Charitable Solicitations Act are available from the Office of the Secretary of State.
Donate here>> to help other children like Christopher.
In Blog section
- Accent Modification, Accent Reduction
- Adult Aural Rehabilitation
- Apraxia of Speech in Adults
- Apraxia of Speech in Children
- Assistive Technology
- Auditory Processing Disorders
- Aural Rehabilitation for the Treatment of Speech Disorders in Children
- Hearing Aids for Children
- Cochlear Implants
- Hearing Aids
- Hearing Loss in Adults
- Hearing Loss in Children
- Hearing Protection
- Language-Based Learning Disabilities
- Speech Sound Disorders
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Voice Disorders